Has the participation process of your promotion come to an end? Have you reached the climactic moment of carrying out the sweepstakes to find out who the winners are?
Easypromos offers you a comprehensive tool to help you pick the winners and alternates of a contest or promotion automatically and at random. The tool will also generate a certificate of validity which you can share with users, providing security and transparency to your sweepstakes.
This tutorial will help you get to know all the features of this tool and learn how to get the most out of them.
Note: This tool is available for all promotions created with the Basic, Premium and White Label versions of the platform.
For Facebook sweepstakes, check the tutorial to pick the winners among all users who Like or Comment on a post.
For Twitter sweepstakes, check the tutorial of how to carry out a sweepstakes based on Retweets, and the tutorial of how to carry out a sweepstakes among all your Followers.
The Sweepstakes Tool enables you to carry out a sweepstakes among all users registered in a contest or promotion. You can either carry out a sweepstakes among all participants or you can specify a particular group of usersbased on a series of criteria which define them, such as their country, time of registration, the social network through which they participated, and so on. The tool includes a multi-sweepstakes mode – for carrying out multiple sweepstakes in a single promotion among different segments of users.
The tool also offers administrators the chance to assign additional participations and exclude specific users or previous winners. Finally, it facilitates the quick and efficient management of winners and alternates.
Below, we go through each of these features, step by step, to ensure you don’t miss a thing.
STEP 1. Access the Winners Tool
Once the participation period is over and it’s time for you to carry out the final sweepstakes, you should go to the “Winners” option in the Easypromos control panel.
On this first screen you should decide whether you want your first sweepstakes to choose winners automatically or manually:
- Automatic winners: the application will select prizewinners automatically and at random after you have applied the filters.
- Manual winners: you will select prizewinners manually, once you have carried out the sweepstakes via a jury, before a notary, or by popular vote, for example.
If you want to obtain your winners manually, just enter their names in the search engine and then select them as final winners.
STEP 2. Create a segment of users
If you wish to automatically select winners in a sweepstakes among all registered users, the tool will enable you to carry out a sweepstakes among all participants. Alternatively, you can specify a segment of usersbased on a variety of criteria, and carry out a sweepstakes among them. To create the user segments you can use the advanced filter system. We will explain this in more detail below.
After selecting “Automatic winners” you will gain access to the list of participants, where you’ll be able to see a list of all users registered to the promotion, with detailed information about each entry. Here you have the following options: export and download all the information to an Excel/CVS file; change the view of the list to Full Screen or Reduced Mode; and locate a specific participant via the search engine.
In addition, the tool will advise you which participations are pending revision, and you can accept or refuse entries by selecting all users or specifying particular individuals. Remember that those users whose participations status you mark as “Refused” will not be able to enter any of your sweepstakes. In this way, you have absolute control over the status of each participation.
Decide whether you would like to carry out a sweepstakes among all participants, or whether you’d prefer to apply advanced filters to control which users are able to become finalists and enter the sweepstakes.
If you would like to apply filters, see below for a list of the options that you have at your disposal for configuring your segments:
- Status: Status of participation (accepted, pending or refused).
- Platform: Social network through which the user has participated (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram).
- Connecting country: Country from which the participant has connected (e.g. you could accept only Spanish users or you could refuse all Spanish users.)
- Entry date: Accept or refuse participations made before or after a specific date.
- Votes: Filter by minimum number of votes.
- Recruits: Filter by minimum number of recruits.
- Score: Filter by minimum number of points scored on questionnaire.
- Device: Device from which the user has participated (desktop PC, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Android).
- Requested fields on the form (date of birth, city, etc.).
- Responses to the questionnaire.
Beneath these filters you have two more checkboxes:
- Sort users once they are segmented. You can order them based on when they participated in the promotion (e.g. first to last, or last to first); in order of the most-voted participant; in order of who obtained the most recruits or who scored the most points.
- Limit the number of participants that you want to view. This could be useful if you only wish to see the five most-voted participants and carry out the sweepstakes among them.
All these filters will enable you to carry out different kinds of sweepstakes and give away prizes based on the type of winner; the participant’s location; the day or week, and so on.
Once you have applied the filters, click on the “Start Sweepstakes” button and choose between:
- Carrying out a sweepstakes among all participants or…
- Carrying out a sweepstakes among the participants you have just filtered.
STEP 3: Assigning additional participations
In the following screen you will see an alert box with two options: assign additional participations or continue.
By default, the application will automatically assign each finalist a participation to enter the sweepstakes, but the administrator also has the opportunity to assign a number of additional participations, giving users who meet the requirements more chances to win the sweepstakes.
Establish the number of participations of your choosing, based on:
- Number of recruits obtained: number of new participants that each user has brought to the promotion.
- Number of votes obtained: number of votes obtained by the user for their entry (image, video or text).
- Points scored in the quiz: in trivia type quizzes.
STEP 4: Apply the rules of exclusion
On the following page you can apply different rules for exclusion of users to block those you don’t wish to allow to enter the sweepstakes. Specifically, you have the following options at your disposal:
- Exclude users from your blacklist: You can create and manage lists of users who you don’t wish to allow to enter your sweepstakes. These users will be able to participate in future promotions, but they will be automatically excluded from your sweepstakes without them knowing.
- Exclude previous winners based on:
- Promotion: if you carry out multiple sweepstakes in a single promotion you can exclude users who have won one of the past sweepstakes.
- Account: exclude any user who has already won another promotion or sweepstakes that you have carried out from your account.
STEP 5: Select the number of prizewinners and alternates
Indicate the number of prizewinners you want for your sweepstakes. Add alternates, in case you’re unable to contact one of the winners or need to make a last-minute substitution. The sum of the total number of prizewinners and alternates must always be less than the total number of finalists.
Would you like to know why alternates are so important? In this post we reveal the answer.
STEP 6: Carry out the sweepstakes
The time has come to carry out the sweepstakes. You can hold a trial test first, but the winners and alternates displayed do not represent a valid result and a certificate of validity won’t be generated.
Click on the “Select winners” button to carry out the final sweepstakes. On the following screen you will see the names of the definitive prizewinners and alternates, and you will have the chance to view and download the details of each one. A certificate of validity will be automatically generated for the sweepstakes you have just carried out. This certificate can be displayed on an external screen.
STEP 7. Announcing the winners.
Now you can access the Final Winners Page and share it on your social networks. You can also edit the page by uploading an image and/or changing the title and text.
Finally, share the results of the sweepstakes with your followers and get in touch with the prizewinners.
Remember that with the multi-sweepstakes tool you can carry out sweepstakes among different segments of users within the same promotion. Click on the “Winners” option if you would like to carry out another sweepstakes by selecting different criteria; for example, if the first sweepstakes was for Twitter users, you could dedicate the second one to Facebook participants. A screen will appear showing you all the sweepstakes that you have carried out within the promotion, separated into “Automatic winners” and “Manual winners.” Bear in mind that you can only have one sweepstakes active at a time, so until you finish one, you won’t be able to begin a second. To begin a new sweepstakes, click on the “Carry out Sweepstakes” button. This will redirect you to the participants list and from here you’ll be able to begin the process as before.
Note: Do you want to know how to announce the winners of a promotion? Read this tutorial.
- How can I access the sweepstakes of my promotion?
By selecting “Winners” from the options column on the left side of the promotion.
- How many sweepstakes can I carry out?
In the Premium and White Label versions you can carry out multiple sweepstakes from the same promotion – as many as there are segments of users. In the Basic version, promotion activation includes a single sweepstakes, but if you wish to carry out additional sweepstakes you can purchase them individually for $15, or alternatively, you can take out a Basic monthly subscription for $29 a month).